Monday, April 9, 2007

The Contenders Keep Coming

This weekend's races highlighted several great performances - two of which stand out in my mind.

The first performance on the list was given by Nobiz Like Shobiz in the Wood Memorial Stakes. His trainer, Barclay Tagg, was worried about the lack of pace in the race, but despite the fact that he was on the lead almost the entire way around the track, he still held on to take home the winner's share of the purse. In my opinion, he outclassed the field. But don't take my word for it; watch this race below.



In the next race on my mind, Tiago won the Santa Anita Derby. He's racing for the Derby, but what got me to like him the most was the fact that he's the half brother of Giacomo, who won the Kentucky Derby in 2005. Not only that, he races just like his older brother! He was racing ninth out of the ten horses in the race up until that last half of the race! He came on to snatch it out from under King of the Roxy at the very end, just like his brother did in the 2005 Derby. You can compare the two races below. The first one is of Tiago winning the Kentucky Derby. The second one is of Giacomo winning the Kentucky Derby.





I must warn you people that are looking at this with betting strategies on your mind - Giacomo was not a very consistent and it should be noted that he hardly ever strung together any kind of winning streak. With that said, I'm still very excited about this year's field. This is certainly shaping up to be a Derby to remember!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

You have the most unique blog in the entire class. I have never payed attention to Derbys or anything like that, but after reading your blog and watching the videos, I may have a new interest. Great job, keep up the good work.